Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chapter 23: Hard Work

“People go out to their work and to their labor until the evening.”

--Psalm 104: 23

“A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink

and find satisfaction in his work.”

--Ecclesiastes 2: 24a (NIV)

“Then the king will say to those at his right hand, Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink;

I was a stranger and you welcomed me…”

--Matthew 25: 34-35

The Parker Brothers Game of Monopoly® has always intrigued me. As a young entrepreneur, I found the buying and selling of the game’s properties and the receipt of rent as a source of income quite appealing. High rent squares on the game board, like Park Place and Boardwalk, with their little green houses and red hotels may be part of the reason that my husband and I bought several rental properties over a period of years—and why we diverted much of my income while I was working at Hastings College to pay off these mortgages as quickly as possible...


To read the rest of this chapter, you will now need to buy my book, Simple Faith, Mighty Faith, published by Cornhusker Press and released 7-3-2011. Go to my website, http://www.JerriHaussler.com for ordering details. Thank you!


* * *

Thoughts to Ponder/Points for Discussion

  1. Can you remember a time when you worked so hard that you were physically and mentally exhausted? Did you feel closer to God through that hard work than on an ordinary day?

  1. No pun intended, but what “avenues” do you have in your life to make this a better world? Are you physically and/or emotionally able to do something good for others in need?

No comments: