Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Chapter 24: Three Funerals

“Let me die the death of the righteous...”

--Numbers 23: 10b

“And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three;

and the greatest of these is love.”

--1 Corinthians 13: 13


With apologies to Charles Dickens, this is a tale of three funerals. The first one was for someone from my town, someone unknown to me. The second one was for a family friend, my mother’s best friend from high school. The third was an acquaintance from my church, known because I sat near him and usually talked briefly to him as I left Sunday services each week.


The First: On a cloudy, windy, sort of depressing day in the fall, I was riding my bike to the pharmacy to get a prescription of Pravastatin Sodium, a cholesterol drug which was supposed to pro-long my life. As I went south into Hastings on the four-lane highway from my home at the Lochland sub-division, I met a police car driving slowly with his lights flashing...


To read the rest of this chapter, you will now need to buy my book, Simple Faith, Mighty Faith, published by Cornhusker Press and released 7-3-2011. Go to my website, http://www.JerriHaussler.com for ordering details. Thank you!


* * *

Thoughts to Ponder/Points for Discussion

1. 11. Have you experienced a loved-one’s death recently? What changes will you make in your life because of their death?

2. 2. Do you believe that fate determines the course of a human life? How does Christianity influence your philosophy?

No comments: