Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chapter 20: Plenty and Want

“I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger,

abundance and want.”

--Philippians 4: 12b (RSV)


“Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us,

let us use them.”

--Romans 12: 6a (RSV)


“So I saw that there is nothing better than that all

should enjoy their work, for that is their lot…”

--Ecclesiastes 3:22a


The heavy chain saw roared loudly as the large limb fell thirty feet to the ground with a thud. The lumberman worked quickly to clean out my backyard trees damaged by earlier winter winds. His wife and what appeared to be her mother were his helpers. All three were dressed in dirty jeans and wool, plaid shirts; all three had long, greasy hair, tied in ponytails. They had come to work hard and seemed to enjoy it.


Although the late morning air was cool, they broke into a sweat, cutting and carting the splintered wood around to the front of my house. In less than an hour, heavy timber, small scraps, and leaves had been loaded in the back of their rusty, old pickup; the lawn was raked clean; and the job was finished. It was enough time for me to observe their hard work and feel fortunate to be sitting inside, eating a warm lunch. Comparing my life as I know it to the lifestyle I assumed they had, I knew I had a life of luxury. I have known more plenty than hunger, more abundance than want...


To read the rest of this chapter, you will now need to buy my book, Simple Faith, Mighty Faith, published by Cornhusker Press and released 7-3-2011. Go to my website, http://www.JerriHaussler.com for ordering details. Thank you!

* * *

Thoughts to Ponder/Points for Discussion


1. What is the relationship between your need and your faith? Would you find it easier or harder to trust in God if you were hungry and in need? Why?

2. What things you can do to help someone who needs a hand up and out of their circumstances?

No comments: