Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chapter 39: Smoke and Mirrors

“For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face.”

--1 Corinthians 13: 12

“If I have told you about earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you about heavenly things?”

--John 3: 12

“For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him may not perish but may have eternal life.”

--John 3: 16

A framed poster on the wall outside my pastor’s office has tiny, little turquoise, navy blue, and black geometric figures on it. When one stares at the solid sheet of colors long enough, a silhouette of Jesus hanging on the cross is revealed. Many people cannot see the picture emerge, but if one is lucky and looks beyond the reflection on the glass and farther into the void behind the dots for ten to twenty seconds, the three-dimensional figure magically “pops out.”

Take any beginning psychology class and at least one session will be spent talking about these kinds of optical illusions. I remember one particular image that I first observed almost fifty years ago which tricks me every time I look at it. One can see the face of a beautiful, young woman or that of an old hag—and as I look at it, the two images switch in my own mind without explanation...

To read the rest of this chapter, you will now need to buy my book, Simple Faith, Mighty Faith, published by Cornhusker Press and released 7-3-2011. Go to my website, http://www.JerriHaussler.com for ordering details. Thank you!

* * *

Thoughts to Ponder/Points for Discussion

  1. Does the world really need forgiveness and eternal life? Does the world want it?
  1. Has pain in your life caused you to turn away from God, or drawn you closer? What steps can you take to come to a stronger belief in the Triune God?

No comments: